Container truck

If you’re using a trailer abroad after 28 March 2019, you will need to register it through DVLAs Register your trailer to take it abroad service.

The trailer registration scheme comes into force on 28 March 2019 as a result of the UK ratifying the UN 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Trailers in the mandatory categories must be registered when used internationally in countries that have ratified the convention.

Registration is mandatory for all commercial use trailers travelling internationally with a gross weight of over 750kg. Registration is also mandatory for non-commercial use trailers that travel internationally and have a gross weight over 3,500kg.

Non-commercial trailers that weigh less than 3,500kg can be registered voluntarily but there is no legal requirement.

Check DVLA’s guidance to see whether you need to register your trailer.

Once a trailer is registered through the new service, DVLA will issue a secure trailer registration certificate by post and send email confirmation which includes authorisation to get a number plate made up for the trailer. The number plate must be displayed on the trailer and the registration certificate must be available to present to a foreign authority upon request.

Irrespective of registration, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal some EU and EEA countries may also require a separate Green Card as proof of insurance for your trailer. If you are travelling with a trailer, you will need to contact your insurance provider to get two Green Cards; one for the towing vehicle, and one for the trailer. This does not mean that you will need to purchase separate insurance.